NARFE - Kentucky Federation
This page has been viewed 538 times

KENTUCKY FEDERATION BOARD MEETING LOUISVILLE, KY JANUARY 2014

KENTUCKY FEDERATION BOARD MEETING

LOUISVILLE, KY JANUARY 2014

 

Meeting was called to order at 9:45 a.m... Attendees were Marlene Bunten, Mike Cornelison, Tom Diaz, Mary Lu Funyak, Mitch Garrett, Willie Little, Bill Martin, Noreene Morgan, Kenneth Overhults, Sally Watkins.

PRESIDENTS REPORT

Noreene has been attending the planning meetings for the upcoming State Convention.

APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES FROM LAST MEETING

Motion made by Mitch and seconded by Mike C., all approved.

TREASURERS REPORT

Opening balance         $17,799.76

Disbursements            $23,847.34

Ending balance           $16,251.79

Net loss of                   $1,547.97

Share account             $26,848.71

Total loss for year       $1,494.44

F-7’s need to be kept up to date – Marlene stated that Maysville still has a problem. Associate members can belong to any chapter and also hold an office, yet the associate member is not shown on their membership list, the F-7 will not accept the associate member as an officer, so the F-7 will never be correct. This has been forwarded to National Office yet no action taken. All that is needed is a section on the membership report showing associate members.

Mike requested that all audits of chapters be completed and returned to him at the State Convention for 2013.

A discussion of this year’s authorization will be held along with the possible district reorganization. (More on this later). Please send vouchers timely and include receipts when necessary.   Officers and chairpersons will receive mileage, banquet and registration compensation, submit vouchers after the convention.

BILL MARTIN RVP

National Convention is coming up and you can register on line. Also, time is running out for registration if interested in being considered for a National Committee.

Remember to update your profile, also sign up for Gems and state and local newsletters. Be sure to keep F-7s updated as this info goes to the state president. (See F-7 problem noted above).

The NEB meeting is coming up so if you have any ideas send them to Bill. Two days will be spent on the Future of NARFE.

DVP REPORTS

DISTRICT 1 TOM DIAZ

Membership in most of his chapters is stable. Blog is updated periodically; purpose of the Blog is to help recruiting.

Fall Roundup was successful, part of the program was letters and 65 letters were sent. Spring Sprint is April 21st.

DISTRICT 2 OMAR ROGERS

No report received.

DISTRICT 3 MITCH GARRETT

Due to being out of town in November and December chapters were not visited. Chapters 262, 1610 and 1512 were visited. A group visited Senator Rand Paul and it was very informative.

Convention of course was a main topic; decision was made to reduce number of door prizes. All info was mailed to chapters in early January. The program book and the tentative schedule are on a second draft. There is still much to be done.

DISTRICT 4 MARLENE BUNTEN

All chapters were visited during this time. Due to the horrible weather some chapter meetings were cancelled. All chapters will be visited in February to promote the State Convention and encourage all to send in $25.00 and also chip in on a District Ad.

 

 

DISTRICT 5 KENNETH OVERHULTS

Activities consisted of contacting Chapters and monitoring programs and activities. So installation of officers will be delayed to February due to bad weather. Legislative activities are monitored and members are encouraged to react appropriately and as necessary.

COMMENTS

Bill and Sally reminded ever one Service Officer Awards need to be sent to Bill by this Thursday Night. Bill commented that Legislation and Service Officer are two reasons to join NARFE.

CHAIR REPORTS

MEMBERSHIP SALLY WATKINS

We have 22 chapters during this period we have lost 19 members, going from 2,985 to 2,966.

It was noted Maysville has 50 members, 15 new ones, Marlene said this has to be a mistake, as there are hardly any agencies to draw from, problem will be researched. (Update – report indicated these were all active employees on the six months free membership. N. O. was contacted yet no changes made yet, will continue to monitor).

There is a problem with the free membership; those who signed up at Ft. Knox are already receiving a bill due at the end of February. They signed up 115 temp members. Sally contacted N. O. but finally gave number to person at Ft. Knox.   Bill will follow up on this.

STATE LEGISLATION KEN ROOD

The State is looking at HB-220 which would reduce the pension deduction from $41,110.00 to $35,000.00. Please contact your Legislature as soon as possible. Also, homeowners be aware that the Homestead deduction is $36,000.00.

ALZHEIMER ANNA PERKINS

Kentucky chapter mailed a total of $3,064.00 to Alzheimer’s in December. For the year 2013 Kentucky chapters reported $8,235.36 through Anna reports.   Region X reports showed the National total is now $10,654,557.50.

As a Federation 347 raffle tickets were sold. Some chapters also do the dime a day.

SERVICE OFFICER SAM ALESANDER

During this period 4 people were assisted. The volunteers remain the same.

 

NARFE-PAC ROLAND

A total of $4,240 was collected in Kentucky, 148 members contributed. National total was $329,363.25, of 48 candidates supported only one lost.

PUBLIC RELATIONS MARJ FAIR

February 26 is the due date for the ads. So far very few ads received DVP’s need to get on the ball and remind their chapters.

LEGISLATIVE TOM MILLER

H.R. 1795, a bill to repeal both the Government Pension Offset (GPO) and the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) has not been sponsored or co-sponsored by Andy Barr or Hal Rogers.

NARFE efforts are available on the homepage of the NARFE website. Continue to make our voices heard by contacting your Congressional representatives. For pending legislation check your NARFE magazine.

WEBSITE TOM DIAZ

Website has been up and running for 4 years now. District Blog is working well. Tom would like for someone to take over the website, please check with your chapters to see if someone is interested.

PARLIAMENTARIAN WILLIE LITTLE

The provision for the Board to approve the minutes of the convention is schedule to be added to the standing rules of the upcoming convention. This action will bring the Board in compliance with Roberts Rules of Order.

Willie would like a draft copy of the agenda for the convention when it becomes available.

OLD BUSINESS

Membership - Bill Martin reported Kentucky has 30.8% dues withholding and Kentucky’s retention rate id 90.3%.

Awards at the State Convention- Kenneth, Hall of Fame and Distinguished Service should be moved to the last award after B/C B/S. All agreed.

Mike C. will be the chair of these awards with Mitch and Nathan working with him. Mike requested a copy of the plaque. (Update – picture sent)

NEW BUSINESS

Convention Update – Mitch,

Invites sent to McConnell and Paul, no response yet, draft agenda prepared, chair needed for book sale, need baskets for the raffle, door prizes reduced to 30, ads needed, If anyone wants to bring something for the hospitality room it would be appreciated. Dick Theissen and Jessica will be skyped in for their sessions.

National Convention

If you want to be on a committee go on line and also let Noreene know.

Secretary Stipend

Mike C. brought up the issue since Jan misses 2 meetings a year and the stipend should be divided. Discussion followed, it was decided the money would be divided by number of meetings. Motion made by Mitch and seconded by Mike C.

Realignment of Districts

Noreene has been considering going from 5 districts to 4 districts, since we are down to 22 chapters. Change would involve Bowling Green and Mammoth Cave being moved to District 1, and E- Town to District 3.   Much discussion followed discussing budget and possible reduction in DVP funds from $1,000.00 to $800.00. Suggested funds be kept at $1,000.00 during test and if additional funds needed, they can be requested.   Tom Diaz and Kenneth both have concerns over the distance to visit those chapters.

A motion was made to move Bowling Green and Mammoth cave to District 1 and E-Town to District 3 for a one year test, motion made by Mike C. and seconded by Mitch. Will start at the convention.

Question concerning if we need delegates at the convention if nothing needs to be voted on. Willie stated delegates are needed for every convention and Roberts Rules are very strict about this.

Sally asked question, when a member leaves a chapter how do we know where they go. The M-112 will give that information.

Meeting adjourned.