NARFE’S LEGISLATIVE ACCOMPLISHMENTS
NARFE is the only association solely dedicated to safeguarding and improving the earned rights and benefits of America’s active and retired federal employees. A team of government relations professionals in Washington tracks congressional action and agency proposals that affect your federal retirement benefits. NARFE’s Legislative Department works simultaneously to preserve and enhance civil service annuity and health care benefits.
Some of NARFE’s legislative accomplishments include:
- Defeating a budget amendment to cut federal civilian retirement and/or health benefits by $10 billion over 10 years;
- Continuing to fend off cuts to the Medicare and Social Security programs;
- Protecting annual cost-of-living adjustments;
- Allowing federal agencies to re-employ federal retirees on a limited, part-time basis without offset of annuity;
- Permitting FERS workers initially to credit half, and in 2014 all, of their unused sick leave toward retirement;
- Adding a Roth option to the TSP;
- Bringing about Federal Long Term Care Insurance for active and retired federal employees; and
- Developing the framework for FERS.