Richard G. Thissen
Richard G. Thissen is the National President of the National Active and Retired Federal Employees Association, the largest federal employee and retiree organization dedicated to protecting the earned rights and benefits of America’s active and retired federal workers. Prior to being elected National President in August 2014, Thissen served as NARFE National Treasurer, a post he had held since 2011.
Thissen spent 27 years in federal service as a civilian employed by the Department of the Army. He worked in a number of locations domestically and internationally in a variety of assignments, including serving as an ammunition inspector with expertise in nuclear and nerve gas weapons. Thissen was an Army Level Career Program Manager from 1989 to 1995 and served as personnel manager for some 700 civilians stationed worldwide. Thissen has extensive background in employee and retiree benefits and regulations.
Thissen has been a NARFE member since 1995, following his retirement from federal service. He has held a number of positions at the chapter and federation levels, including serving as president of the Missouri Federation. He was elected Region V Regional Vice President in 2002.
A native of Fort Dodge, IA, Thissen attended Grandview College and Drake University.
Here are some recent articles quoting Thissen:
- Blame Congress, Not the Career Civil Service, The Wall Street Journal (2/3/17)
- Trump freezes hiring of many federal workers, The Washington Post (1/23/17)
- Feds pay steep price for long-term care company error, The Washington Post (12/1/16)
- NARFE President Testifies on Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program Premium Increases, FedSmith (11/30/16)
- Officials Say There Are No Easy Fixes To Skyrocketing Long-Term Care Insurance Costs, Government Executive (11/30/16)
- FEHB premium rates rise 6.2 percent for feds in 2017, Federal Times (10/28/16)
- Tepid COLA sparks potential Medicare spike, Federal Times (10/18/16)
- Federal retirees to get small sip of COLA, The Washington Post (10/18/16)
- Newly Re-Elected NARFE Leaders Face a ‘Perfect Storm’ of Rising Premiums Hitting Federal Retirees, FedSmith (9/8/16)
- State Fiscal Problems Threaten Higher Taxes On Federal Pensions, FedSmith (4/17/16)
- Richard G. Thissen & Jessica Klement Of NARFE On Protecting The Benefits Of The Federal Workforce, Through The Noise (3/13/16)
- Feds escape direct hit on pay and benefits in budget compromise, Washington Post (10/27/15)
- Phased-retirement for federal workers is slow to take hold, Baltimore Sun (9/21/15)
- OPM chief Katherine Archuleta resigns, USA Today (7/10/15)